Saturday, March 28, 2009

Goodbye Chemo

I hardly even know how to begin. It's over. No more chemo. No more cancer. It's hard to put into words how I feel about it. I mean, obviously I'm thrilled. But there is some other emotion too that is hard to place.

It reminds me of when I was pregnant with our first baby. I was so excited for the ultrasound to find out if it was a boy or a girl and to see that cute little bugaboo. We find out it was a boy, yay, and then the sonographer says 'ok, let's check this little boy out'. He goes on with the ultrasound, and as he charts and measures he's talking out loud saying things like, 'So his spine looks perfect. We can rule out spina bifida. His head is a nice size so we're not going to worry about Downs.' He went on and on all the while telling me how perfect my little baby nugget was. He walked out of the room and I immediately broke down and sobbed. In those four months of pregnancy before the ultrasound, it never once occurred to me that my baby would be anything but perfect. Hearing all the things that could have been wrong, even though they weren't, left me totally shaken. I cried and cried. I was suddenly so grateful that he was perfect. The rose colored glasses were gone and I was overwhelmed with gratitude.

I can't help but feel similar now. Like, now that it's all over I almost want to break down and cry. What is that? Relief? Maybe. It's more than that though. It's a relief for a worry I didn't even know existed. Gratitude? Yes and no. For sure I am grateful, but I am grateful for many things and this doesn't feel the same. Is it growth? Can you even feel growth? Maybe a combination of the three, or something else altogether. It's definitely something though. I have some seriously strong yet nameless and puzzling emotions going on.

While I try to sort out my emotions, here is the low down on what's next...
  • I see the radiologist on Monday to determine whether or not we are really going to do this radiation nonsense. I say no. We'll have to see if she agrees with me.
  • Thursday I meet with the plastic surgeon to schedule reconstruction. When that will take place depends on if we are doing radiation or not. No radiation means we just go right into reconstruction. (Although I'm really not a big fan of boobs, I have to say I am way excited for this. These fake, expander boobs or 'foobs' as we like to call them are really uncomfortable. They're hard as rocks and if you push on them they pop back out like a plastic water bottle. Kind of a neat trick but mostly kinda creepy.)
  • I also need to have my port removed. This is supposed to be a lot easier to take out than to put in.
  • I have a prescription for Tamoxafin. This is a pill that I'm supposed to take once a day, everyday for the next FIVE YEARS. This may not sound ridiculous to anyone else but me, but I can't see me being successful at this. I don't even finish my antibiotics. They only last a week.

16 comments:

The Gillette's said...

Glad this is all behind you now. Sorry to hear Alan no longer will have half days on Fridays :-)

Lyndee said...

Congratulations! You are such a strong and awesome lady. I hope you do some major celebrating.

Tori said...

jeez - that was heavy. what does no cancer mean if you still might have to do radiation? radiation sounds like you're being cooked in a microwave or something. beth does not need any cooking, she's perfectly wonderful the temperature she is. i'll let her know.

Heidi said...

I had that exact same feeling when I finished chemo. It was like you were done with active treatment and then shoved out the door to be on your own and you feel so defenseless. Every moment of every step of this "cancer" journey has been designed for you and now you have no one to tell you what to do. You survived cancer and now you have to LIVE with it if that makes sense.

Hang in there, be strong, and cry when you need to. You'll feel better afterwards. ((hugs))

jksfam said...

Wow, Beth! I can't even imagine what you're going through! I hope you don't have to do the radiation! Please take your medicine daily!!! (I'm not good at that either...) I'm sure it will be nice to have more normal boobs again, too!

Anonymous said...

Scarlett Johansson

Anita said...

Congrats! I so can't wait to be there myself.

patty said...

Congrats on being done with the chemo. Still praying for you!

ps. Gee, wonder who put in the ScarJo comment???

Love to you all!

Alyssa said...

Although I can't completely relate to your indescribeable feelings, from reading your blog thoughts I am wondering if:
-Perhaps you are feeling "empowered", because of what you have triumphed over.
-But then at the same time you may still be feeling "vulnerable", now that you have been made keenly aware that unexpected (and scary) things can happen to you (not just to "other people" you hear about).
-Also, you might be feeling unsettled in your own skin. Like wondering how this experience has changed you inside and out. And what to do about that, if anything.
-So....empowered, vulnerable, unsettled...What is that??..
"EMPOWNERABLETTLED"???

Maybe not. But, just know I am thinking of you and praying for you to feel peace.
-Alyssa (Amanda's friend)

Nau Willis said...

so glad things are good and its over!!! Im sure when I see you again I will be jealous of your new boobs!! luvs to the family!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah for no more chemo! I hope you can be done with treatments for awhile and look forward to the awesome foobs. I'm with you on taking a pill for 5 years and I also never get through a dose of antibotics.

hales said...

Yay for you, Beth! You should come back "home" and celebrate with us.

Melissa said...

YOU ROCK BETH!!!!!!! Congrats on finishing chemo! We love you guys!

- Jake

westoverwhatnots said...

Beth, you really should write a book. You are so good at expressing your feelings. I'm so glad the chemo is over and hope you can safely reject radiation. And yes, you should come "home" and celebrate! Love you!

Cathryn said...

I am impressed with the honesty you express about your emotions. NOT knowing exactly how you feel and what it means seems perfectly understandable to me. I am sure that through the next few months you will figure it out. And hey, who says you need to be in a hurry? You have a long life ahead to figure it all out!!

Say hey to you family for the Farr's!

The Adams Family said...

Come to Nauvoo and celebrate w/you mom, sis, & me!! Or maybe Christi and I can come to you!!! I am so WAY excited for you!!! Love you!