Saturday, October 18, 2008

First things, first...

I love my no boobs! Not quite new boobs because that has to wait until after treatment, but seriously no boobs are fantastic. There is some kind of a bump because of the expanders but that's about it. Nothing else that would make it an actual boob. I think even Alan will be an easy sell. With that being said... ouch! Holy crap, I feel like some took a sledge hammer to my chest. My chest muscles are super sore all the way down to my elbows. (Are chest muscles even connected to elbow muscles? Is that a song?) It's definitely not as bad as it could be, because it's like a dull deep ache. Not like a searing, stitch-ripping pain - like the kind I had when my brilliant nurse woke me up at midnight to sit me up and have me swing my legs over the side of the bed. Her words, "It's time to take your pain killers but I want to get you up and walking so you can go home in a few hours." My words, "How 'bout I take the pain killers and then I sit up in about 20 minutes when they're working?" Her. "Yeah, well I don't want you to take them and then get nauseous when you sit up." Me. "Umm, ok, but I'm not promising much." I already felt like I had been seriously run over by a truck. And over and over. She and another nurse start bringing my bed up. They got about a quarter of the way up and I start saying 'stop. stop. stop.' Any guesses on what happens? After about a seconds pause, they keep going. I muster all my strength to yell (which ends up being close to a regular speaking voice) "Lay me down. Now. Lay me down. Lay me down". I start bawling. Ouch. At this point breathing is extremely painful, so sitting up, yelling and crying is really just to much to handle. My eyes can't focus on anything but I just keep thinking, there has to be a way I can inflict pain on this woman. I thought if she would just bend down a little closer to me I just might be able to bite her on the chin. Now guess what her response is to crazy, sobbing me? Speaking to the other nurse she says, "Should we just swing her legs over real quick so we don't have to come back and do this again?" At this point I say, " I will kill her. I will. I swear I will kill her." I'm not sure why I started using the third person but it seemed to be the only thing that worked. They laid me back, with still more crying from me and she finally bring me the pain meds. In an hour, when we try again and I sit up walk myself to the bathroom and get back in bed with no problem she says, "Wow. Those pain meds really work. I had no idea it was going to hurt that bad." You do still have to go to school to become a nurse, right?

I loved coming home to my sister, friend and husband pampering me at the ring of a bell (thanks Kathryn). And this morning, four of my neighbors rang the doorbell armed with vacuums, mops and a whole lot of Pine Sol to clean my house from top to bottom as I laid in bed. No boobs, clean house and dinners delivered to my door... yeah, I got Cancer...you jealous?

Upcoming events:

Sunday - Sleep and focus on shallow breathing
Monday - Doctor appt to check my drains - oops. Did I neglect to mention I have four drains hanging off of my sides? Gross. You can google it. But in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend it for those with weak constitutions. They will be in between one and three weeks.
After that- After icky drain removal, the surgery to put the port in happens. Once port is in Chemo begins.

9 comments:

jksfam said...

I am jealous! No, not really! I'm so sorry about your nurse!!! That's why I never stay at the hospital very long after having babies. I love how they say, "You'll get more rest here..." Whatever! No one wakes me up at 2:00 just to take my temperature at home!!! I know you didn't have much choice in the matter, though! I'm glad that the pain meds at least helped! I hope that the pain subsides quickly! I'm glad you have so many taking care of you - I just wish I could be there, too!

Lee said...

I am so happy your neighbors are so wonderful! What a blessing for you! It is nice to have people just do stuff and take initiative.
And Seriously I would have wanted to bite the nurse too.
And your not-boobies look good. I hope tomorrow is better.

Nau Willis said...

beth Im so glad your hangin girl! you are so in our prayers!!how great of your friends to come over and clean! wow! we love you tons!!!

heidi said...

Talk about looking for the silver lining. You are amazing. I hope you don't mind, but I used you and your blog in my RS lesson last week. And my favorite line in this blog is "I just might be able to bite her on the chin." She deserved it. Hang in there. There are many, many good thoughts and prayers going your way.

hales said...

Glad to hear it went well. Hopefully the rest of it will too. I tried to talk your mom into doing a temporary tattoo of a laurel wreath around her head when she went through chemo. With the holidays coming up, your choices are ENDLESS! Painting party!
(I know -- I'm sick.)
~Melody

Barney Family said...

Love this post!! I am amazed that you are actually posting on your blog and you are actually making sense with all those pain meds!!

I hope your new small "boobies" feel better soon, until then just sit back relax and let us all pamper you!

Kellie

Valasi Satini said...

Beth,
Your blog just cracked me up. (well the nurse part of it!) Glad to hear everything went well. It's always great to have the support of others. We love you Beth! Hang in there!!!

CTMowrey said...

I admire your attitude and sense of humor. You are an inspiration to all of us! We love and miss you! I wish we could be there to help out. I am so happy that you are blessed with such a great support group. Better days ahead!

Love always,
Tiff & Chad

CTMowrey said...

Hi Beth , Tiff read your blog to us. I wish I could be there to help out or wish you could be here with us. Love you and take care.Love always,Rebecca.