Monday, October 6, 2008

Wiggity Wiggity Wack

Here's the wig dilemma. In the beginning I was totally opposed to wearing a wig. I thought I would be uncomfortable trying to pass it off as my own hair, like cancer was a big secret and I was lying to everybody by wearing the wig. However the thought of being a big bald freckle ball didn't really excite me either. I was considering just starting a really funky fresh hat collection. The problem with that is you would still be able to tell that I was totally bald which generally equates to illness and I'm just not sure I need everyone from the mailman to guy at the gas station knowing I have cancer. So here's what I've decided. I think I'll get a couple wigs. Maybe a long blond and a short brunette, maybe a reddish somethin' or other. I might even get a cool pink wig just for fun. That way I won't feel like I'm a fraud trying to pass it off as my own hair, and I won't have to worry about the guy at the gas station staring at me. (Unless I'm wearing the pink one of course, then he'll be staring but for different reasons and I can deal with that!) My hair can just be a way to accessorize. You know whatever suits my mood that day. Who knows, it could be fun. Any suggestions? I'm game.

10 comments:

Beth said...

sounds expensive.
-ned

Lee said...

Ned needs to get over the whole expense thing. Girls are expensive. It's part of the package deal.
And I will totally go look at wigs with you. We will get you something totally rockin!

Tobler Bunch said...

Hi, I found your blog thru Michelle English's Mom's blog. She is my mother in-law. I have a friend who just went thru the whole breast cancer thing if you would be interested in contacting her. She is amazing. She even did this pregnant and had the kid and went thru it some more. She is free from cancer now. There is hope, and we all pray for such miracles...The Lord has a hand in all these things. Take care...

heidi said...

I totally vote for the pink one. If anyone asks, just say you dyed it pink for breast cancer awareness. Or, maybe you should just get all your friends to shave their heads with you. I've been needing a haircut lately, anyway.

Lee said...

See it isn't just me who would shave my head with you. You have lots of friends that would. And then we could all write with a Henna tattoo we love Beth! :)

Unknown said...

Have you thought about using Emily's hair that she was going to donate to locks of love? It was Rebecca's idea that she give it to you. That was the last thing she spoke to Emily about. Might be cute. Anyway, we all send you our love and kisses.

Beth said...

Kris- I would love to. It was the last conversation that I had with Becci too. And who wouldn't want to have gorgeous Emily hair? It might be tricky though. I haven't seen anywhere where you can have a wig made for less than a thousand dollars and I've seen upwards of six thousand. I'm still researching though! P.S. I love that you read this.

Nau Willis said...

Im so going for the pink....who cares brittney spears wears it...lol dont feel bad I just chopped off all of my hair...shorter than when you were here...

Kristyn Crow said...

I wonder if there is a way to do it through Locks of Love. If the situation were explained to them-- that this is hair being donated from a neice to an aunt, and that you're in need of it for medical reasons--I wonder if they could have it made. I'm guessing they might just do it. They have a whole bunch of funding these days.
BTW--I love your courage, your humor, your wisdom, and your willingness to let us all get in touch with our own humanity. Thank you for that.

The Wents said...

I think having hair as an accessory is a grand idea. My mom used to do it in the 60's. Somedays she would go long and other days short. Besides you have a beautiful face and can get away with anything.