Wednesday, October 1, 2008

How To Be a Better Person 101

I can't begin to describe my gratitude. I have been overwhelmed with the kindness and generosity of friends and sweet loved ones. I can't help that I am a total sap, and I hope you will all just bare with me, but even now I can't stop the tears as I write. A few days ago, Ella answered the door and said "Mom! We have packages!" The first thing I see are two huge styrofoam ice chests on my porch from Omaha Steaks. My first thought is, 'Oh shoot, the UPS guy just drove off and these aren't mine'. Then I see my name on them and my next thought is, 'ALAN IS GOING TO KILL ME'. I thought I must have unknowingly signed up for something. Then, finally, I see the message at the bottom of the label. It reads,

"Who says we still can't bring you dinner just because you live in Indiana? We love you, Beth! Love, The Manhattan Beach Ward Relief Society".

I wish I could find the words to tell you how much it means to me. The hardest part of the whole dumb cancer and so much of the hardship of losing Becci is being so far from the people we love and care about, and to be remembered in such a generous and unexpected way...well, it's just more than my fragile emotional state is capable of processing right now. I am so blessed.

This is why I can say this whole experience is a gift to our family. Cancer sucks. Cancer is not the gift. However, the lessons and experiences and the love and relationships that are strengthened through the process, those are the gifts. Like the refiners fire. But fortunately for me I feel like I am not alone in it, but instead have the strength of friends and loved ones all around me. (I told you I was a sap. I just can't help it.) It is kindness like this that teach me there is always something I can do to help. I will just do, and not say 'let me know if I can help'. I will let the wonderful examples of the incredible people in my life be my example and I will be a better person.

7 comments:

jksfam said...

You brought tears to my eyes, too! That is soooo sweet of them! I will do more doing as well. My thoughts are always with you and I wish I could be with you to help you. I'm so sorry about your sister's death along with all of this! I miss you!
(Will you e-mail me your address - if not, I guess there are others I know that should have it. I'll track you down if I have to!)

Lee said...

I love your outlook, your attitude and the way you are going forward with everything. And it sounds like your old ward.. your ward is just awesome. And you are loved so much. I hope you enjoy all of your yummy food.. or at least your family does.

Barney Family said...

Beth, you are truly an inspiration to me! You have been so courageous and have a great outlook on this situation. I truly am amazed at your endurance and spirit. I am also in awe at the many great friends that have shown concern and who want to help. All these acts of kindness show that you are such a great person, who is loved. I hope to truly be there to help and support you and help in anyway to ease this burden.

Kellie

Anonymous said...

If you're a sap, well than I am too because I tear up with every one of your posts I read. Only because I am so touched and in awe of your strenghth, wisdom and courage during such a difficult time in your life. Please know you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers and I wish for nothing but the best for you, Alan and the kids.
Thank you for giving me the confidence to belive that you will be fine and that you will come out of this even more amazing than you already are! And thank you for inspiring me to "just do" instead of waiting for someone to tell me what they need. Big hugs to you!
Love, Sidney

Beth said...

Thanks so much Manhattan Beach Ward! We miss you all.

Twice Baked potatoes by far my favorite so far.

Alan

Unknown said...

Hi Honey,
Just letting you know you have a fan club over here in Nauvoo rooting for you every step of the way.
Everywhere I go I'm ask how you are and to remind you that many prayers are with you.
You are loved, admired and prayed for every minute.
I send you special angels to surround you and comfort you, knowing one of them is kind of new at this, but has had a lot of practice being there for you on this side of the veil. Remember, you are never alone.
I love you, Mom

heidi said...

All I can say Beth is that you are simply amazing. I feel so happy to have you as my friend. You are in my thoughts and prayers.