Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cali-therapy Day One

Even just stepping off the plane you could smell just a hint of saltiness in the air. Like the ocean was sending out its welcome. It was a beautiful thing. Before we had made it to the top of the jet way we had all ready shed our sweatshirts, pushed up our sleeves and wished we were wearing shorts. Today was a gorgeous day, 74 degrees I think.
We hadn't been in LA for more than three minutes when we had our first celebrity sighting of the trip. Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins) was cruising the airport. We picked up our rental car and drove straight to In-N-Out. After lunch and a quick wardrobe change we were off to the beach. I can't begin to describe how therapeutic it was. It was like going back eight months, to friends and volleyball and warm weather. It was a flash back to simpler times. I think we will try to spend a part of everyday that we're here on the beach. It's just something you take for granted when you have no intention of leaving it... but boy have we missed it. We had time to come home and wash our hands and feet before going to our friends the Brandon's house for a great backyard BBQ. It was exactly what a grieving, bald-headed, cancer patient needed. It was like a metaphorical group hug. Being surrounded by great friends and family, watching our kids play together, like no time has passed. It was beautiful. Truly.

So I think this is it. The cure for cancer. Chemotherapy sucks. It's all about Cali-therapy, or beach therapy, or out-of-the-snow-and-into-the-sunshine-therapy, or whatever you want to call it. But I'm pretty sure it's making a difference. I feel better already.

8 comments:

jksfam said...

I'm so happy you are able to go there and that it is helping you! I really wish that we could be there to see you guys! Have an awesome trip!!!

RyAriMow said...

There is nothing better than going home from time away. My week down there was nothing short of amazing and a much needed break. I hope the rest of your guys time is wonderful!

Anita said...

I could agree more about the importance of finding a way to have fun in between chemo treatments. I usually try to make it to Disneyland ;)

The weather in LA has been amazing lately. How long are you planning on being in LA?

Lee said...

I am glad you are having fun, and feeling better. I was thinking of you today while I was freezing that you were warm. Enjoy every minute!!

patty said...

I'm so happy for you all. Next therapy trip? Okinawa, baby. People live forever here and it's island life every day!!! Lots of love to you!

Anita said...

I live in LA - near Westwood and Santa Monica. I thought it would be really nice if we had a chance to meet while you are here. Unfortunately I start my third round of chemo tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Hey, we want to join in on the therapy. Tori was really sorry she missed you at the beach today. Hope we can connect soon. We know you have lots of people and family to see, but we want to see you at least once and give you a big hug -- and your whole family! _kate

hales said...

Thanks for coming to play. I have missed the laugh sessions while doing nails. When are you coming back???