Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Today I feel...

Merry... we had a fantastic Christmas. Gushy... my eyes will not stop tearing. It's gross. I am constantly wiping and dabbing my eyes. The doctor said it's because I have chemo tears that irritate my eyes. Oh good. Chemo tears. Homesick... for family, friends, the beach, and for a good ol' backyard barbecue. It wouldn't hurt to have a junior super deluxe with black beans from El Som, either. Giddy... as I look lovingly on my life size poster board cut-out of 'Edward' that my neighbor Cheryl gave me. It is hilarious. Hopeful... for what this new year could hold for us. As much as this year has had it's trials and dark moments, it's also been a year of incredible blessings and great spiritual growth. Aerodynamic... with no hair and no boobs I feel like I could give Micheal Phelps a run for his money. Now if only I were an athlete. Relieved... that the AC (adriamycin and cytoxin) part of the chemo is now behind me. Apprehensive... now that the AC part of the chemo is over and the taxol portion is about to begin. With the AC, I at least knew what to expect. Sore... unfortunately it's from something I'm almost to embarrassed to admit to. I think I hurt my arm playing Alan in Tiger Woods golf on the Wii. Sad. Ecstatic... We are coming home!!! We will have 9 fabulous days with friends and family. January 17-25. Get out your Disneyland passes, dust off the volleyballs, and fire up the grills because we are coming home!

8 comments:

Lee said...

I am so happy for you getting to go HOME! There is nothing like it. And in January when it is cold here, no better time.
And I think I need to come check out Edward. :)

jksfam said...

I love this post! I'm glad that you get to go home. I hope that the next phases of Chemo aren't too bad! I wish you a much better new year!!!

Anonymous said...

I just found this information and wanted to share it with you!
Cathryn Farr


Grape Seed Compound Kills Leukemia Cells

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:00 AM

By: Sylvia Booth Hubbard Article Font Size

A natural compound extracted from grape seeds makes laboratory
leukemia cells commit suicide, according to a new study by the
University of Kentucky. When exposed to the extract, 76 percent of the
leukemia cells were dead within 24 hours.

The extract forces leukemia cells to commit “apoptosis,” or cell
suicide, which is a kind of programmed cell death that cells in the
body undergo either in the normal course of growth and development or
when something goes wrong with them. Leukemia and other cancers block
the cell signaling pathway that allows apoptosis—this is how cancer
keeps the defenses of the body at bay. Grape seed extract activates a
protein called JNK that regulates the apoptotic pathway and allows
damaged cells to commit suicide.

Grape seed extract has already shown beneficial activity in other
laboratory cancer cell lines, including breast, skin, lung, and
prostate cancers. Before the new study, however, no one had tested the
effects of grape seed on hematological cancers, and neither had anyone
found the exact mechanism involved.

“What everyone seeks is an agent that has an effect on cancer cells
but leaves normal cells alone, and this shows that grape seed extract
fits into this category,” said study author Xianglin Shi, Ph.D., who
emphasized that research is still in an early stage. Hematological
cancers, including leukemia, caused almost 54,000 deaths in 2006,
making them the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the United
States.

RyAriMow said...

I do recall you saying to Alan and I that we should just go out and play golf instead of playing a video game of golf. Now what do you think? Great post!

patty said...

I'm so happy you get to go home and spend time with family and friends! I've been thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. I LOVE your blogs, they make me laugh, cry and want to give you a big hug. You are awesome!

Michele said...

So lucky to be going home - we want to do the same!! Hope you had a great holiday and Happy New Year to you all. :)

Anonymous said...

Beth!!! I'm so excited you are coming home! I'm up for volleyball, Disneyland and hanging out. We miss you!

Two Mamas said...

Can't wait to see you and the whole fam. I know we'll only be in town half of the time, but I hope you'll reserve some serious time for us in your packed calendar. --Kate