Friday, July 15, 2016

Keep on Keepin on - July 15th

This rollercoaster of a ride called cancer just ‘keeps on keepin on’. After a couple of pretty good days in a row Beth hit a wall today. More than a distinct pain, there are days where Beth has an overall feeling of discomfort that builds and builds throughout the day until she can’t take it anymore and succumbs to her pain meds. Today was one of those days.  Her bones are achy, she is nauseous, her mouth is bone dry, and her stomach feels tight and bloated 24 hours a day. She gets very restless and wants to walk around, but she doesn’t last long because she fatigues quickly. Her skin is very dry which is a residual side effect of chemo. To top it off the cancer causes her to be “so flippin hot!” most of the day. Any one of these things alone would be nothing that Beth couldn’t handle, but all of them combined leads for a very long day. I’ve said it before, if this was me, my family would have had to check me into an assisted living home a long time ago because I would NEVER stop complaining.  I am amazed at her pain tolerance.

Today, I picked up my phone and saw that I was mentioned in a tweet. It was a friend through social media whom I started following a couple of years ago. His name is Greg Trimble and he is the author of a very well written blog on his website. He posts about religion, family, business, and leadership. I especially enjoy his unique perspective about the LDS church. We recently traded messages back and forth as he noticed what our family was going through and asked if he could dedicate a post to tell our story. Both Beth and I were very moved as we read his post. Beth was brought to tears as we read. She has a very hard time dealing with all of the attention. She always says to me (usually through tears), “I just don’t get it. Why are people so good to us? Why do people care so much?”  We are humbled that Greg took the time to focus on our family and share our story with all of his followers. Greg, if you ever find yourself in Cleveland (Kirtland Historic Site visit????) just know you and the family have some Cavs tickets waiting for you!  Go Cavs!

#BattleTogether 

No comments: