Thursday, July 14, 2016

That's Not Where the Apples Go! - July 14th

Beth had a pretty good day today.  Most of the day was a “no-pain med” day. She even got out of bed to straighten up the kitchen. For the record, my mother (who is staying with us to help) has kept the kitchen spotless since she has been here. Beth said she needed to rearrange where we keep the fruit and blamed it on her hatred of clutter. I think she really just wanted the satisfaction of doing something that felt normal to her.  Doing that simple chore for her was her way of not giving in to cancer. Beth even ate dinner with us outside on our deck. I could tell she was not feeling the best but it was so great to have her sitting at the table with us. It has been a while.


Beth’s hair is starting to grow back in. It may be rather insignificant but seeing her hair grow back in a way symbolizes that the poison (Chemo) that was in her body for so long is out of her system and her body is trying to get back to normal.  


Some days I think our kids are handling cancer as well as possible.  They each cope and deal with the situation in their own ways. We talk often and I am always impressed on how well they seem to be doing. Then there are days like yesterday where a full fledged war happened over who’s turn it was to sit in the front seat of the car.  I mean, so much yelling, screaming, tears and even some physicality. As I sat there and tried to understand how something as stupid as sitting in the front seat of the car can turn into World War III, it dawned on me that this outburst was them letting off some built up steam.  A release.  A much needed release.


That same night, just a few hours after the front seat debacle, Ben uploaded the below post to his Instagram account. Maybe his Royal Rumble battle with his sisters cleared his head enough to allow him to better express himself. I am thankful for his eternal perspective on what is going on and I am thankful that he gets it.  Maybe not all of it, but he gets it enough.  


Benson Mowrey
Since I was 8 years old, my mom has battled Stage 2 breast cancer. Over the years it went away, then came back. Recently it has gotten much worse, and the doctors are thinking that she has about 4-6 months to live. I hear stories like this all the time. But now to actually live it...I just have no words. But her unwavering faith in the Lord and His plan gives me, and is, hope. She is the poster child of believing in Christ. She quotes scriptures all time time, and I'm always so impressed. For example, today she read a scripture that she thought applied to me and my current situation. We cried, and we ended up exchanging stories about each other and just talking. That's just one of the many things I will miss about her, but the thing I will miss the most is her hugs.
To some extent, this is a way for me to get this all out of my system before she's gone. I don't like it, but it's the Lord's way, not mine. It's because of this that I will not be posting for a while. I hope you understand. Thank you guys for being the best.


FullSizeRender 5.jpg

5 comments:

vicki said...

Oh Ben! If only --the world knew what you know at 16! You are amazing!

Nicol Hebein said...

This is so touching. Thanks for sharing.

Nicol Hebein said...

Also, I totally agree with Vicki. What an amazing guy you are. Your parents must be so proud.

Nicol Hebein said...

Also, I totally agree with Vicki. What an amazing guy you are. Your parents must be so proud.

stalker sarah said...

Love this! Love that kid!!!