Sunday, July 10, 2016

Please Don't Stab Me - July 10th

This morning Beth mustered up enough energy to get herself dressed and to church. She wanted to come to church and take the sacrament with her family. She almost made it to the end of the first block before we had to leave. She was feeling too weak and felt like she was going to pass out. I give her an A+ for effort.  

IMG_3089.JPG

Beth’s body may be failing but one thing the cancer has not affected is her brain. Despite her pain and her physical challenges brought on by cancer, Beth is as sharp and witty as ever.  Her humor and comedic timing has been on another level the last few months.

The other day Beth was crying and I went to give her a hug. I kneeled down by her bed and she wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me in close.  She explained that she was sad because she “didn’t want to do this by herself”.   She was referring to passing on.  She said, “You know I am not good at doing things by myself.  I wish you could come with me”.  This is absolutely true.  When we were engaged she had me come to a group interview with her as she was interviewing to become a flight attendant with Northwest Airlines (someday ask to her to tell you how I got a job offer before she did).

As I laid next to her with her arms wrapped around me, she said again, “I just want you to come with me”.  I jokingly said, “Do you have a knife in your hand right now?”  Without missing a beat, she said, “No honey, I would never stab you. I would poison you”.  I slowly pulled away from her as I was a little disturbed that she had put a little too much thought into this subject.  

One of the best parts of Beth’s cancer treatments being in Chicago is that I get to spend 6 to 7 hours of uninterrupted time with her each way.  We have had some of the best conversations during those long drives.  This last trip home was very unusual.  We talked about subjects we have never discussed before.  Like, whom I am allowed to marry and what she wants her funeral to be like.

I am so thankful that despite her body falling apart, inside that failing body is still Beth.

8 comments:

Mina said...

I think of you all daily, sending my love and prayers. Should you need anything, I'm there.

Jane said...

Those are hard topics. I'm glad you can find humor in them. I don't think you will ever find someone like Beth. She's irreplaceable. You two are perfect for each other in every way. This is breaking my heart. 😢 We will continue to pray for comfort and humor in all of this. Love you guys!!

Lee said...

I love your honesty, and how real you are. You two are the perfect team. You two have set the bar on living with grace, humor and faith. Sending prayers especially going forward on these topics. ❤️ Love you!

stalker sarah said...

You guys are amazing!! I love feeling the love you have for each other and reading about the strength you guys have! Love and prayers always!!! 💗💗💗

Unknown said...

Dallen Oaks, L Tom Perry, Russell M Nelson, Richard G Scott and a few other good men have endured similar trialls in their companion passing on "too soon". Alan is a lot like them and Beth is a lot like their eternal companions. Gordon B Hinckley, Truman Madsen, and Dallen Oaks and others have endured the passing of their Mother at a young age. No one will replace her yet she will always be close and always be yours. Heaven will always be closer!

Joyce and Steve said...

Love you guys and sending prayers for comfort. You're so amazing and your wittiness and humor bring a ray of sunshine to a cloudy day! God bless you all!!!

Linda Burch said...

I can't even imagine what you are all going through. Sending many prayers,

MPk said...

You both inspire me beyond words and are incredible examples of the promises that come through living the Gospel.