Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Question - July 12th

When we decided to start posting an update to this blog each day, it was not to bum everyone out on daily basis. The thought was that it would be a great way to keep everyone informed and up to date on Beth.  So many people love her and are concerned. It was getting to the point where she couldn’t keep up with the texts, emails and phone calls from her loved ones inquiring about her. Over the last few weeks these blog updates have evolved into more than just a health update. I have taken this time to journal some tender moments we have shared.  I understand that some things are emotional and sometimes hard to consume.  Therefore, I will try to structure my posts where I give a relatively quick update on Beth’s day or any noteworthy changes in her health in the first few paragraphs. The latter part of the post will be a peak behind the curtains - a funny story, a tender moment, a memory or something we want to remember.   So, if you want to get a quick Beth health update and go about your day without the sappy part of the post, read the first few paragraphs. For those that want more, enjoy the entire post.

Now, with all that said, please have a seat for this one. Beth has decided that she is not going to continue with her Chemo treatment.  In talking with her doctors, they believe the possibility of chemo working at this point (10-15% chance) would only provide marginal improvements in her symptoms and time. The low probability of success combined with the severe side effects is not worth the sacrifice.  We are going to continue with PERJETA and Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks.  PERJETA and Herceptin are antibodies that help slow down cancer cell growth and buy her time.  Speaking of time…

In the 8 years that Beth has had cancer, she has never once asked how long she has to live.  She never wanted to know.  She didn’t want the doctors to pollute her mind with an “educated guess” as to how long she has to live.  She felt fine and she was always optimistic that she could beat this. Yesterday, we asked the question.  The answer?  4 to 6 months. Her doctors said she would hopefully make it to Christmas. How did Beth react? “Well, now I have a number to beat!” Let’s do this!”

So many tears shed the last few days.  The hardest part was telling each of kids the news last night.
Each of them cried.  Each of them had questions. The most heartbreaking moment was when our 11-year old Lily, a few hours after we told her, ran inside upset and said, “Mom! This means you will miss my birthday”.  

Beth wanted me to thank you for the outpouring of love.  She has loved hearing from so many of you over the last few weeks. It has been so uplifting.

We love you all.

#BattleTogether



19 comments:

stalker sarah said...

I love your blog from beginning to end! You should go to blurb.com and print the whole thing! It's amazing! Beth, I know you can beat that number! As always, I have you all in my thoughts and prayers! Love you!! #battletogether

patty said...

I, too, love the blog - all of it. We think of you, constantly, and know you can beat that number!! As always, we pray for all of you, daily. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Oh this just breaks my heart. I am so sad for you. Your kiddos, you as a husband and care giver and Beth as a mother and a wife. She deserves more time. But we're not in charge. I'm so sorry!!
I have loved my daily doses of Beth and Alan. You are so funny, so loving, so entertaining, and so inspiring. I don't want it to end. I'm so glad we know that marriage is eternal. I look forward to the day we all meet again and continue on....

We love you Mowreys!!

Mina said...

Alan and Beth,

I read this everyday. I feel that although we haven't been in touch often, you have been in my mind and I have followed this journey with you. You both are so inspiring, and I love that despite the reality, you still manage to find humor in the situation. All my love from here and let me know if you ever need anything. God Bless.

xoxo - mina

Unknown said...

I miss your awesome family, and I love the blog posts it makes you not feel so far away. Thank you so much for the updates, I love them and look forward to them.
I don't have the right words. We are praying for you, and you guys beat the odds. My heart hurts for you. We will continue to pray and #battletogether sending our love and prayers. The crazy Norris fam.

SPAULDING FAMILY said...

Beth,
I've told you before, but I'll say it again...I've always admired you from a distance. We were at different points of raising kids when we were both in Fishers, so we didn't have a lot of opportunity to be around each other. I remember always looking at you with such admiration for being such a strong person with such an amazing testimony. Cory and I both noticed the love for your family. In fact, we still often refer to a testimony meeting where you mentioned feeling like you were the very first couple to pick your kids in the preexistence because you have the most awesome kids! I've leaned on you a lot (without you knowing) and you have helped grow my testimony. We will continue to pray for you and your awesome family!

MPk said...

I love you guys. My eyes are dripping right now (probably because it is a hot day).

Lauren said...

Can't wait to see you beat that number. You are being held in my daily prayers and love the blog, all of it! Stay strong & love the positivity in how you embrace life xoxo.

Gena D Brenan said...

I am overwhelmed by how incredibly strong your family is in this time. I have been keeping up on these blogs and just wanted to say I am sending my love your way.

Katie V said...

Alan, Beth and family - You story is amazing, heartbreaking, and inspiring. You guys are the epitome of a beautiful, strong, faithful and loving family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. #battletogether

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing all of this. I am heartbroken. My thoughts and prayers are with you. #battletogether. xoxo

Abby said...

To you and Beth, our love, prayers and support go out to you this day and always. We don't know your family well as we are in the Fishers 1st Ward and just missed your family by a bit but we know parts of your extended family and you have brought a strength with you that touches lives no matter where we are located. Our family stands ready to help at any moment if needed and prays that peace and love surround you all at this time. If anyone can get to Christmas and beyond, it's Beth! You got this girlie....kick this timeline's butt!! #battletogether
Love,
Andy and Abby Stearns

gardenofeight said...

Dearest Beth and Family,

I am sobing as I write this but wanted to express my love and admriration to each of you. I served in the Marseille Mission too and my MTC comp Heather Deans was your trainer. I never had the chance to serve near you and I so wish I could have. My younger sister passed away last July 3rd from stage 4 colon cancer. I saw her pain snd her struggles to the very end. You are amazing Beth! What even impresses me further is the love and devotion from your sweet husband and certainly your kids. I have read blog posts and looked at your photos and am so thankful you have been given such wonderful experiences throughout your trials. Love always, Soeur Brown.

gardenofeight said...

Dearest Beth and Family,

I am sobing as I write this but wanted to express my love and admriration to each of you. I served in the Marseille Mission too and my MTC comp Heather Deans was your trainer. I never had the chance to serve near you and I so wish I could have. My younger sister passed away last July 3rd from stage 4 colon cancer. I saw her pain snd her struggles to the very end. You are amazing Beth! What even impresses me further is the love and devotion from your sweet husband and certainly your kids. I have read blog posts and looked at your photos and am so thankful you have been given such wonderful experiences throughout your trials. Love always, Soeur Brown.

Ryan Davenport said...

The positivity that you guys are able to consistently keep at the forefront is nothing short of remarkable. They say life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it, and it's safe to say this is how your family lives. Thank you for sharing, thank you for encouraging us, and thank you for helping me to put things in perspective. You're all representatives of what a family is, and my thoughts are with you more than you could think. Keep laughing and keep fighting.

Smith Party of Five said...

You guys are constantly on our minds and it is our privlidge to call you friends. Why do these heartbreaking things happen to good people? The answer that resonates best for me is that the character that God wants for his truly elect to have can't be developed in any other way. Both of you are inspiring and influencing so many people. The insights and experiences you are sharing are giving the rest of us a glimpse into the most sacred part of humanity and we are better people for them. We are praying for you! - Ana and Silas

Unknown said...

Alan,

Thank you so much for keeping this page and keeping us all up to date on Beth's health. My heart deeply broke and I cried for my friend that I love so dearly. I will continue to pray for you all.

Beth,

Oh how I love you! You are a light of joy, beauty, and happiness! I admire your faith and strength and the example you have set for us all! I am so glad that our Father in heaven has brought you into my life!

Brian & Veronica said...

I love you Beth--I miss you so much and wish we could have had more time together. I'm sorry for your trials and for your family. I've avoided saying anything on the blog or Facebook or even a personal message bc I can't help but hurt for your situation. I didn't want to be a sappy downer, but it hurts. All I can say is I love you. I'm thankful Heavenly Father let us cross paths--though far too brief. I pray for you and read the blog daily. I'm with you in heart and wish I could take this from you! #battletogether
Veronica

Unknown said...

Beth,
Oh my gosh, I can't stop crying. Even though I am close to your sister I have always followed your posts and story. I have been touched by the love Alan and your children obviously have for you! The world is a better place with you in it!
Love, Carrie