Sunday, August 7, 2016

Beth's 400m Race - Aug 7th

Beth fell again this afternoon.  She made a rare decision to leave the house and go with me, my mom and Beth's sister Christi, to visit a cemetery in Kirtland where she thinks she wants to be buried. It is a quaint, charming and historic cemetery.  Beth wanted to come with us and see the place for herself. As were were leaving Beth was being helped back to the car and her legs gave out and she collapsed to the ground skinning her knees.  With today’s fall and a few others we have decided that Beth needs to be in a wheelchair permanently.  

Beth loved the quiet cemetery located just steps from the Kirtland Temple



















This morning I was checking Facebook and saw a video from the 1992 Summer Olympics.  It was a video of Great Britain's, Derek Redmond running in the 400M. Shortly after the race started Redmond tore his hamstring and fell to the track. He was in obvious pain but immediately got up and and tired to finish the race. However, Redmond could only hop on one leg as the pain was too much. Each step became more and more painful but Redmond was determined to finish the race that he had trained so diligently for.  He would not give up no matter how hard it was.  He had told himself that he was going to finish the race no matter what. As he hobbled around the track, pain etched on his face, he noticed a man who ran out of the crowd and past security to hold him up, to comfort him, to help him finish the race.  The man was his father. His father placed his son’s arm around his neck and helped take away some of the pain and some of the burden his son was dealing with. Redmond was devastated and cried on his father’s shoulder.  Through the pain and tears his father helped him accomplish his goal and finish the race.  

I remember seeing this story back in 1992.  I remember how moving it was back then.  This morning I was sobbing as I watched it because this time seeing the video reminded me of Beth.  

This life was Beth’s Olympics. Beth had prepared herself and was running along the track of life when BAM, she was struck with her own “torn hamstring”, cancer. Like Redmond she didn’t give up.  She didn’t let it stop her.  She was determined to finish the race, to get to the finish line and to give it everything she had.  I likened Redmond’s Father coming out of the stands to all of Beth’s friends and family that ran to her side - friends and family that have cried with her, helped her continue to run, supported her and are helping her finish the race.   

#BattleTogether

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched that this week too. It always brings tears to my eyes. We are cheering you on every step of the way. I pray daily that through our prayers you will be sustained to endure what lies ahead. And that Beth will be able to finish strong!! ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

Unknown said...

Hi Alan. I have been reading your blog for months and feel like I have gotten to know Beth and your sweet children through your words. Trust me, no one reading this is sick of hearing from you. Your blog makes people feel like their thoughts and prayers can somehow help you and Beth and your children through this, at least a little bit. I am thinking of all of you and I am in awe of your faith in spite of it all. I wish I shared that same gift. Sending love to you guys. Aileen, Michael, Riley and Kieran.

Anonymous said...

Hello Beth and family. I just wanted to send my love and hugs, my cheers and tears from the sidelines. I was lucky to meet Beth at church when we were kids and to go to the same high school. She's always been so beautiful and so caring. I always think of her smiling and laughing with friends and remember her reaching out to help people and animals. I wish we had spent more time together. It is very special to get to know your wonderful family better through the images and words you've shared online. I am so sorry for what you are going through.

The Olympic video and Alan's thoughts on it are incredibly touching; a humbling reminder that no one runs alone. The runner's courage and his father's love created something so memorable and inspirational out of a heartbreaking moment. It's hard to fathom the suffering you've been bearing and the depth of love and courage that have brought you this far on your journey.

Thinking of you, wishing you every moment of joy and relief each day and, as a favorite poem says, nights "full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing."

Much love,
~Elena J.

Morgen Newill said...

Thanks for the updates Alan. What a beautiful place for such a beautiful person. Only seems fitting. We are cheering for you and praying for you daily. Lots of love from the Newills

Anonymous said...

Anything I try to say always seems so inadequate...love and prayers. My heart is filled with love and prayers for each of you.

Lyndee said...

Love this update. Praying for you daily.

Kathy said...

I love this comparison. Beth is definitely an Olympic Champion. I'd love to see her face on a Wheaties cereal box. She is a hero and a role model for all of us. Sending love, and shouting chants for all of you! Beth! Beth! Beth! Beth! Beth!

Unknown said...

I love you guys so much!! Can we pimp out the wheelchair? I'm thinking it could probably use a good bedazzling!

Barney Family said...

I love this and I'm so glad that you all have found a beautiful burial site that is so fitting of Beth! We love your beautiful family.

Lee said...

I love your perspective, and what you share. ❤️ This is a beautiful and perfect Beth resting place. All my love.

Amanda said...

I can't even begin to find "the right thing" to say in this moment...please know that we are praying for you all and sending every possible ounce of love and and positive thoughts your way.

Robin said...

Alan, you don't know me but Beth and I went to high school together. We were in some classes together and I recall her big smile and lively personality well. This video brought me to tears as does your journey.... Often. Your writing is helpful to those near and far and I often find myself laughing aloud and sending up a prayer that Beth's pain is eased and your family maintains the strength to endure what lies ahead. With love and respect, Robin Teitelbaum