Monday, August 8, 2016

Breakfast of Champions - Aug 8th

Yesterday I mentioned that Beth has fallen a few times in the last few days because her legs are so weak. We decided Beth would have to use a wheelchair from here on out to get around, no more walking for her.  What I didn’t anticipate is that Beth was not even strong enough to stand up from the wheelchair. This afternoon once we got her from the bed into the wheelchair and wheeled her the 15 feet to the bathroom she was unable to stand up on her own. I had to carefully lift her out of the wheelchair, stand her on her feet and then lower her onto the toilet seat (I promise this will be the last bathroom related post for a while). Then we had to redo it all over again to get her from the bathroom back into bed. The whole process took about 5 minutes.  I am not sure what the alternative is. Well, we know what alternative is and Beth is NOT HAVING IT.  

A few other random things for today:

  • Beth asked for some pretty heavy pain meds today as she was hurting a lot from her fall yesterday. Made for a very loopy Beth.

  • Beth did get a nice surprise visit from a 5 week-old puppy named, Hazel.  Thanks Courtney Jones for brightening Beth’s day.


  • If you have texted, called or messaged Beth in the last few days and didn’t get a response it’s not because she doesn’t like you. It’s because she hasn’t been coherent enough to reply.  Beth’s phone usage has been drastically reduced over the last few days.  I checked her phone today and she had about 20 texts that she had not even opened yet, not to mention a few dozen texts that she opened but didn’t reply.  She also had another 30 Facebook notifications (granted 25 of them were things her mom shared and tagged her in).

  • Lisa Beus is still looking for people to send her some Beth related letters, stories, memories, or lessons learned, etc. She is gathering all of these and will put them together in a book for the kids to help them remember who their mom was and all of the people she touched. If you have anything you would like included please email to Lisa at lisambeus@gmail.com.

  • Tonight Ben and I were watching the USA Men’s Basketball Team play Venezuela. At one point in the game Draymond Green turned the ball over 3 times in a row. The announcers said, “USA has to find a way to cut down on the turnovers”.  Beth, who we both thought was asleep because her eyes were closed and she had not even once opened them to peak at the game said, “I have an idea how to cut down the turnovers - STOP GIVING THE BALL TO DRAYMOND GREEN”.  She was just laying there with her eyes closed listening to the game. Man I love that woman.

  • Yesterday I posted a blog comparing Beth to an Olympic athlete (click here if you missed it).  Tonight our friend Courtney Tenney sent us this picture of Beth on the front of a Wheaties box. I have never seen a cooler picture.  I love it.



#BattleTogether

5 comments:

stalker sarah said...

I love that Wheaties box so much! And I LOVE Beth's Draymond Green comment! There's nobody better than Beth Mowrey! Love you guys! Prayers are still constant! 💗

Anonymous said...

My mother's biggest fear when she was sick was that we would forget her. In all of our letters and voice recordings she made for us she would say, "remember me always". Every year on her birthday we eat spaghetti and make a sheet cake (both her favorites) and sing Happy Birthday to her. Every year on her death anniversary we send balloons with notes on them to heaven. This year Aly, who was 1 year old when she died said, "Mom I feel like I totally know Grandma Kathy." I think of my mom Every.Single.Day!!
Your kids will remember Beth always. She has taught them in their short years lessons they need for a lifetime. There is no greater love than a mother's love. She will be with them always and they will remember her always.
I love the Wheaties Box. She is a true champion in every sense of the word. But so are you and your kids. You are enduring this trial well to teach so many of us what it truly means to have faith and gratitude in our afflictions. We love you!!

Lee said...

I love the wheaties box. She's my hero. Thank for the honest updates and for the insights. Love you.

Jennette Marble said...

Thank you Alan for this blog. I LOVE the Wheaties box!! Beth you are a true champion! Tonight I shared with my kids some thoughts from reading your blog. I specifically shared when you told how you have seen your children learn what it truly means to love and serve one another. That has really stuck with me and I have felt increased patience and love each day for my own family in the process. Chalk that one up for miracle 8,000 or so of Beth's!! Your family is truly amazing! Praying for you, sweet Beth, and your four beautiful children by name every day!!! We hope you can feel the prayers, fasting, and strength from so many who care deeply! We love you Mowrey's!

Jessica Carmen said...

So awesome! Her spark for life is so damn inspiring!!!!! Xo Lots of love!