Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Tender Mercies of the Lord - Aug 28th

The last few days have been very hard but there also have been some incredible, touching moments that we have been able to experience as Beth prepares to return home. Some have been fleeting moments, some have been memories, some have been conversations with family.  Last night I had one of those experiences. This morning, I woke up and was pondering about what happened and was reminded of a talk and true principle that was taught by one of our General Authorities.  

In 2005, Elder David A Bednar, Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles gave a General Conference Talk titled, The Tender Mercies of the Lord.  He describes the “tender mercies of the Lord” as “the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ.”  Last night I had an opportunity to experience one of the Lord’s tender mercies. After two days of not being awake or coherent for most of the day, Beth woke up a little before 2am. She nudged me and woke me up and said, “Alan, what happened today?  I don’t remember anything.”  She was as wide awake, alert and articulate as she has been in the last week or so. Her voice was clear and not raspy; her voice actually startled me as I had not heard that voice in weeks. Sleepily I rolled over and answered her. We talked about about what happened during the day, who had come over to visit, what the kids did.  She told me about some of the dreams she has had, some funny and some more serious.  We shared memories.  We just talked, like we used to do every night before bed.  Our conversation ended up lasting almost 2 hours.  I had so longed for a chance to talk to Beth like that - uninterrupted for an extended period of time.  It was a blessing, therapy for me, a tender mercy of the Lord.  

Elder Bednar taught us that, “...the Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord’s timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings.” I am so thankful that I was able to recognize and treasure this blessing I had been given.  

Lastly, Elder Bednar testified that “...that the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all of us and that the Redeemer of Israel is eager to bestow such gifts upon us.”



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. How do you keep such perspective? Truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing your testimony. I needed this today as my heart has been so heavy.
I pray the tender mercies will continue today, tomorrow, and on those lonely days ahead.💗💗

Lauren said...

That is one of my favorite talks from Bednar. How wonderful that the Lord blessed you with such a beautiful tender mercy. You inspire me daily. Thank you for your example of faith and endurance and perspective.

Lee said...

This brings me tears, I'm so happy that you had this. That you could just be Alan and Beth for a moment.
I sat in church today with a prayer in my heart for you. And someone sang I believe in Christ, and the line so come what may, it got me. We believe and we trust, so we do hard.
We will keep praying and relying on the Lord, and praying for peace and comfort. We love you. ❤️

stalker sarah said...

Love this! I can't imagine the joy and peace you felt while being able to spend that precious time in conversation with sweet Beth! What a blessing! Thank you for sharing. Love you guys! 💗

Johnathan and Mackenzie said...

Alan, you truly are an inspiration to me and so many. Thank you for your testimony. Praying for more of these Tender Mercies over the coming days and weeks for you and your family.

Unknown said...

I don't know you but I have fallen in love with your family through this blog. It feels like stepping onto sacred ground when reading it and I feel privileged to have found it. It is a reminder of how real the Atonement is and how good the world is with people like you. Thank you

Kathy said...

I'm so glad you were blessed with that tender mercy. My heart aches for each of you. Your family is continually in our prayers. Love to all of you.

Barney Family said...

Alan your words are so touching. Through this trial you have been a beacon of light and have shared a great message of hope, faith, and love with so many. Thanks for sharing!

Current C said...

Thank you for this blog. My mom passed away this weekend and your blog has been an inspiration to me through this journey with her. I know personally about tender mercies and know more will come to your family. Cathy Gorge

Logan and Ashley said...

Thank you for sharing these moments, thoughts, emotions, etc on this blog. I feel so blessed to be able to learn and grow from you during this trial. It has brought perspective to my life and for that I am grateful. We pray for you always (even though we know you through Brett and Amanda). May you continue to have these tender mercies and be blessed with strength and comfort.

BradandMelanie said...

What a special and cherished moment, truly a tender mercy from the Lord. He is aware of you. That is one of my favorite talks, thank you for sharing your testimony and experiences. Sending prayers and comfort to all of you.

BradandMelanie said...

What a special and cherished moment, truly a tender mercy from the Lord. He is aware of you. That is one of my favorite talks, thank you for sharing your testimony and experiences. Sending prayers and comfort to all of you.

Brian & Veronica said...

Though my heart is breaking for all of you, I'm thankful for all the goodness you see and experience in this trial. I am constantly amazed at your perspective, gratitude, and humility. We pray daily for your family, and you are all constantly on my thoughts.

Gena D Brenan said...

Alan, your blog breaks my heart every day, but at the same time I am truly amazed at you and your commitment to your family through all of this incredibly trying period. It is clear to me that you both are remarkable people. Sending you warm wishes from your hometown.

Anonymous said...

Alan, i am full of love and joy cor.the blessing you received. You have grown so much since the time i first met you. May God continue to bless.you with such tender mercies. Love you all. David Spencer

Pete and Deana Giles said...

Hoping many more tender mercies in the near future for your beautiful family. Our heart aches for each of you! We admire your strength and pray for each of you daily. All our love, The Pete Giles Family

kate said...

There's a lot of negativity about church and faith today. It doesn't make me doubt terribly, but it makes me feel uneasy. Your blog does the complete opposite. It helps me feel my faith. Even as my heart breaks for you and your family, I am strengthened by your testimony. This blog will be such a gift to your children. For years and stages ahead.

MPk said...

You are making me cry at work, Alan. Keep it up. Prayers and love to your family, and may the tender mercies continue to flow.