Wednesday, August 24, 2016

It's Been Real, Chicago! - Aug 24th

It’s been a very emotional and draining day. We have decided to not go back to Chicago on Friday and stop all treatments. After 4 great years we will not be going back to Cancer Treatment Centers of America. Consulting with Beth’s doctors both parties decided that we will start home hospice care immediately. I will elaborate tomorrow on why we made this decision and what home hospice care means; most of it is good but there are some fear and concerns.  


The decision to stop treatment was coupled with a friend of ours coming over tonight to help us plan funeral services. While it was a huge weight lifted off our our shoulders to know that most of the funeral services are taken care of, it added to the emotional fatigue of the day.  Props to Ella for snapping this picture of Beth and I napping post funeral planning.

IMG_3757.JPG






















Beth struggled with her breathing today more than she ever has. She called me at work this morning and told me she thought she needed to go to the emergency room. She was freaking out because she couldn’t catch her breath, she was exhausted and was getting scared. My mom was able to get her to calm down and take some of her anti-anxiety meds which she had been trying to stay away from. After a while she was able to relax.  The last fews days Beth’s oxygen levels have bounced between 83 and 93%.  The last few days she has not gotten past 93% - which is not good.  


IMG_3762.JPG
























I’ll go into a little more detail tomorrow.  I gotta run though - Chip and Joanna are in way over their heads in tonight’s episode of Fixer Upper.

#BattleTogether

10 comments:

vicki said...

Alan - you are truly amazing! You have me bawling and then laughing! Such a talent you have for writing. Amazing talent for doing all you are dong - most importantly, loving our Beth! Thank you so much! We love you all! Vicki

Anonymous said...

Alan. I can fly back if you need my help. With driving kids to school or whatever. Just tell me when and i am there. I love you both so much
David Spencer

Lee said...

Sending so many prayers, and so much love for you. ❤️

Rachel said...

You don't know me, I'm a cousin of Lee Ann Norris. I lost my husband three years ago this week to cancer. I've been following your blog a little and I just want you to know that my heart is with you. I know how hard it is. You're doing great. Sending big hugs to you and your sweet wife and family. ❤️

stalker sarah said...

Many prayers and lots of love being sent to you guys! I love that picture of you guys! Again, thank you for your blog. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Your family truly is amazing! Love you guys forever and always!

Lauren said...

Our love and prayers to your family!!!💗 Alan, such talent you have to be inspiring,touching, and funny all in one blog post.

Unknown said...

Dan and I are thinking and saying a prayer each night for all of you.

Tyler said...

Praying for you and loving you...each of you so much. As I watched my sister succumb to breast cancer at the same age as Beth, she was lying in bed trying to comfort me. That's just who she was. With a half smile on her face she said, you know, in a hundred years, this happening won't matter, what we do before during and after will. We will be together forever someday. Honestly, I really don't think she ever left. I'm so sorry this gets to be your struggle. You are beautiful and inspiring and loved. Love, Christin Morgan

TRACEY GROW said...

Alan and Beth, your love for each other is a gift for the rest of us. Thank you for sharing it. I'm grateful that you will receive hospice care as it will relieve your, your mom, and beth. My sister went through this 18 months ago. The hospice care was needed and very helpful. May these next weeks of your journey be filled with peace and sweet moments. My thoughts and prayers include all of you. Tracey Grow

karachigifts.com said...

MY love and wishes for your family! Alan, such talent you have to be inspiring,touching, and funny all in one blog post. Gifts to Pakistan .