Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Time to Get our Assets in Gear - Aug 2nd

No real changes in Beth’s health today.  Just lots of rest, drugs and Food Network.

Who’s tired of hearing from me?  I sure am tired of reading my posts. Who wants to hear from Beth???

I have been telling Beth for a while now that the people want to hear from her. Look for a special blog entry coming soon from Beth.  She has so much to say, so much to get off her chest.  Given she can’t use her left hand, I will transcribe and I will make sure she is nice and drugged up before we start.  I can’t wait.

Today was a very hard day emotionally for both Beth and I.  We have so much to discuss and plan. Things we don’t want to think about right now. It is all so very overwhelming.  

For example, this morning I got a message from a friend that suggested we start planning now for funeral service arrangements and grave sites, “They gouge you if you wait”. What!? No way are we ready to do that. “Had my friends made decisions just one day earlier, it could’ve saved them $5,000 in plot costs”. I think I need to sneak one of Beth’s pain meds.

Then someone mentioned that we need to get our assets into a trust so you have less to go through in probate.  If you all only knew how little we know about any of that. Quick someone check my pulse ox.  I guess it’s time to get our assets in gear.

We are thankful for our friends and family that have unfortunately had to go through this before and have experience with dealing with some of the things we don’t even know is coming, but wow, this is overwhelming.  

Then as the day went on we were buoyed up by so many acts of love, service and compassion from friends and family literally all over the country and even some outside of the country. It was so humbling. So uplifting. So inspiring.  

One of our friends posted a talk this morning on Facebook, by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland titled, The Ministry of Angels.  I was reading a portion of his talk that said,

I have spoken here of heavenly help, of angels dispatched to bless us in time of need. But when we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day.

I can not agree more with this statement and it was never more evident than it was today. Thank you all for being our angels on this side of the veil.  You will never know how much each message, call, text, letter, package, dinner delivered, visit, prayer, means to us.

In the short history of hashtags, there has never been a more appropriate one than #BattleTogether.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I pray you are led and comforted through these tough decisions. I'm glad you have friends who can help. That is not a fun job.
I'm so so sorry. I wish I could say something as eloquent as Jeffrey (the Beloved) Holland but I can't.
So I will leave my favorite quote by him that I live by daily. We have it framed in our house.

"Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come until heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come!!"

I know this to be true. You will one day be showered with the blessings that only come to the faithful. I pray that patience will be your gift in all of this.

Love you guys!! ����

stalker sarah said...

I love that message from Elder Holland. And I'm so sorry that you guys are even having to deal with this. My heart is breaking not only because of my own sadness in dealing with all this but obviously because of the so much more that you and your family are dealing with. Beth was my savior when I moved to Indiana and felt so alone. And when other friends were moving away, I had Beth. She was my rock. To say I'm blessed to know her is an understatement. She really is my hero. I've never deleted a single text from her and I value them so much now. I love you guys forever and always. My prayers are constant. I pray for peace, and comfort, and a relief from pain for Beth. I pray for guidance and understanding. And I pray with a heart full of thankfulness that dear Beth is one of my closest friends. How did I get so lucky to have a friend like her? She's one in a million! Thank you for keeping us updated, Alan. You are an amazing person with super strength. Hugs from Kentucky and all the love you can imagine! 💗💗💗

Brian & Veronica said...

I don't know how you guys handle this trial with so much grace and clear headednes. I would be an emotional mess. I love reading your updates every day, and find myself re-reading older posts just for it not to end. I'm sorry I don't comment every time or even very often. I wrote before that it's bc it hurts too much to think of much positive to say. I asked Heavenly Father last night, "why, with the world as bad as it is, do these wonderfully righteous and loving mothers have to be taken?" I've already lost a friend to breast cancer a couple years ago. That was rough. Now to know I'll never see Beth again on earth? That hurts. I know I won't receive my answer in this lifetime. So, while I sit here in pain and bewilderment, I'm inspired and in love with your outlook, strength, faith, and humor--in the toughest of times. I look forward to hearing from Beth in a future post! :) I love you!

Joyce said...

Alan and Beth, to many of us you two are "angels we walk with and talk with - here, now, everyday". I am so very sorry for your trials, but eternally grateful to have been given the opportunity to know you in person while in mortality. Thank you for continuing to minister unto us through this blog and in everything else you unselfishly do for so many. We Love You.